Australian bushfires mental health resources
The Australian bushfires have caused emotional distress among thousands of people who were impacted directly or indirectly. While for most people the distress will only last a few days or weeks, some will go on to develop mental health issues. Learning more about the impacts of trauma and skills to help manage distress can help with recovery.
We have developed a range of resources informed by best practice to support health practitioners, first responders and community members after the bushfires.
Please note: Phoenix Australia does not provide direct clinical care. If you are in an emergency, call 000, Lifeline 13 11 14, Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467, or Kids Helpline 1800 551 800.
Resources for health practitioners
- Australian Bushfires: Australian Guidelines for the Treatment of Acute Stress Disorder and PTSD – Natural disasters and trauma reactions supplement
- Australian Bushfires: Practitioner tip sheet for supporting children and adolescents after a disaster
- Australian Bushfires: Resources for GPs
- You can use the resources below to hand out to patients
Resources for emergency services workers and first responders
- Australian Bushfires: Tips for first responders on emotional reactions to human bodies following bushfires
- Australian Bushfires: Self-care tips for leaders to manage stress
- Australian Bushfires: Helping communities and families recover
- Trauma and the emergency services – Coping with trauma
- Booklet: Recovery after Trauma – A Guide for Police Members with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Booklet: Recovery after Trauma – A Guide for Firefighters with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Booklet: Recovery after Trauma – A Guide for Paramedics with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Resources for community members
- Australian Bushfires: A self-help recovery guide
- Australian Bushfires: Tips for parents on supporting children and teenagers
- Australian Bushfires: Tips for parents on media coverage
- Australian Bushfires: Helping young children heal after a crisis
- Australian Bushfires: Evacuation activities for children and teenagers
Other Phoenix Australia trauma mental health resources
- More information about disaster mental health
- More information about trauma and recovery
- Fact sheets and booklets about trauma and recovery
- Recovery Online website with simple tools and videos
- Evidence-based trauma training workshops for health professionals and others in support roles.