skip to Main Content

This page lists Australian helplines and websites.


For urgent support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14 for confidential 24/7 counselling and referrals.


If you are looking for help following a traumatic event, your GP is a good place to start. He or she can help provide initial support and refer you to the right service or practitioner. International visitors should speak with their doctor about help that is available in their area. If looking for a psychologist, the Australian Psychological Society (APS) website and the Australian Clinical Psychologist Association (ACPA) website maintain a register of psychologists, listing their specialities and practice location.


Please note that Phoenix Australia does not provide direct clinical care or referral recommendations.




24-Hour helplines and online support


Open Arms-Veterans & Families Counselling

1800 011 046 (local call)




13 11 14 (confidential 24/7 counselling and referrals)


National sexual assault, domestic family violence counselling service

1800 737 732 or (online counselling available)


Kids Helpline

1800 55 1800 (free call) or (online counselling available)


MensLine Australia

1300 78 99 78 or (online and video counselling available)


More help and information resources

Alcohol and other drugs

  • The Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) has comprehensive information and a list of resources available across Australia.
  • The Right Mix: Your Health and Alcohol website has simple information about standard drinks, facts about alcohol and medication, as well as sleep and health conditions for veterans and their families. Veterans can assess their drinking on the website, find out how to start making changes and where to go for help if they are concerned about their drinking. The site includes resources for practitioners and veterans.

Asylum seekers, refugees or migrants who have experienced torture or trauma

The Forum of Australian Services for Survivors of Torture and Trauma (FASST) has a list of agencies across Australia that provide support, advocacy and treatment.


Carers Australia offers information, resources and access to support groups. Or call 1800 242 636.

Children and young people

  • Kids Helpline offers web-based, email, or telephone counselling for children and young people aged 5 to 25 years. Or call 1800 55 1800.
  • ReachOut has information and downloadable apps on a range of mental health and related issues that affect teenagers and young adults.
  • Headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation, has information on trauma and mental health, where to get help, and online support.
  • The Children of Parents with a Mental Illness (COMPI) resource centre provides information, resources and access to services.

Depression and anxiety

Several organisations offer access to information, resources and services, including:

Domestic violence

Mental health and wellbeing

This government website lists key websites that are available to help you access more information about mental health issues and services:

Military personnel


  • Parentline provides telephone counselling to parents and carers of children aged 0 to 18 years. Visit for Parentline services across Australia or call 13 22 89.
  • Information on how to talk to children and teenagers about their problems and where to find help, as well as online and telephone support, is available through headspace at


The Australian Psychological Society (APS) maintains a register of psychologists, listing their specialities. Call 1800 333 497 or search the list on their website.


The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) is the national body overseeing the registration of psychologists.

PTSD and trauma

Sexual assault and sexual abuse

  • National sexual assault, domestic family violence counselling service has a list of the main sexual assault services in Australia.
  • All states and territories have crisis lines listed in the front page of the White Pages telephone directory.

Social workers

For a register of accredited mental health social workers, visit the Australian Association of Social Workers.

Torture and trauma

Veterans and their families

  • The Department of Veterans’ Affairs can provide information and referral advice. Call 133 254 (metro) or 1800 555 254 (regional).
  • Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling (formerly VVCS) is a specialised, free and confidential service provided by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for Australian veterans and their families. Call 1800 011 046, from anywhere in Australia. If you have questions about your eligibility to access Open Arms services, contact your nearest office.


Open Arms offers the following services:

  • Crisis counselling (face-to-face or telephone, and an emergency toll-free telephone service)
  • Individual, family and group counselling
  • Country outreach programs for rural Australia
  • Education and information resources
  • Case management
  • Referrals to other treatment services
  • Specialised PTSD treatment programs in most states for veterans and military personnel

Victims of crime

A list of victim support hotlines in each state and territory, as well as information about other relevant services throughout Australia, is available at

Vocational rehabilitation